Directs processes, and leads the execution of solutions or improvements for the Southwest Construction Shop which maintains and repairs the company’s truck and equipment fleet. Ensures that fleet is properly maintained and repaired utilizing sound service procedures, containing maintenance costs, and maximizing customer and vendor relationship benefits. Is also responsible the Facility Maintenance of the Buildings and Grounds. Performs duties and provides services that reflect Southwest Construction Services values.
- Direct processes and procedures and executes strategies and improvements that contain maintenance and damage costs, minimize fleet downtime, and maintain fleet conditions. Reviews and makes sound recommendations for all expenditures prior to authorizing or issuing a Purchase Order for the expense.
- Direct the day-to-day maintenance and damage function for the Shop to include supplier and vendor selection. Must communicate and report to the Division Managers and the President all expenses and repair timelines for all fleet related repairs. Determine the appropriate course of action taken in response to manufacturer recalls, warranty problems and related issues. Communicate with local and Company management on the appropriate course of action, obtain input and/or approval as needed, and oversee the execution of the course of action to completion.
- Oversee and review local maintenance performance with the Division Manages to identify areas of concern or improvement and to determine corrective action. Communicate to Company management all opportunities, concerns, and actions related to maintenance and damage, obtaining feedback and/or approval for corrective action as needed. Lead the implementation of procedures to address the root cause of problem areas or areas of improvement.
- Optimize the mix of outside vendors and in-house maintenance, reducing the cost of fleet maintenance and improving service level and quality provided. Open or close maintenance suppliers for outside repairs and works on the development of vendor relationships to better facilitate the needed repairs.
- Oversee the training and development of the Shop Mechanics as it pertains to maintenance. Ensure all in-house mechanics are trained to the standard required to satisfactorily repair fleet.
- Must be able to perform mechanic duties as required including lifting, driving and picking up parts along with other duties as needed or assigned.
This position sets and leads the execution of maintenance and damage strategies for the Maintenance Shop, as well as manages the day-to-day responsibilities of the function. Responsible for the resolution of all financial cost issues pertaining to the fleet repairs, people problems or technical issues as they relate or pertain to maintenance and repairs. Wide level of decision-making but must obtain appropriate input and approval for decisions impacting operational procedures. Successful performance of job duties result in contained maintenance costs, staying within or below Budget Plans. Direct responsibility for an annual Operating Maintenance Budget of all shop repairs.
- Associate degree preferred or equivalent years of experience in fleet maintenance operations.
- Five (5) plus years experience managing or leading fleet maintenance and damage operations, financial administration, profit and loss, and program development in a mixed fleet (truck and equipment) environment.
- Proven expert in fleet maintenance and damage best practices. Excellent fleet operations, mechanical, warranty, maintenance and general business knowledge.
- ICAR, CERT and/or ASE Master certificates or equivalent.
- Excellent leadership and change management skills. Is the fleet maintenance leader for the Shop and is responsible for giving direction and guidance to both mechanics and vendors relationships.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to inspire support and obtain buy-in from both mechanics and vendors and within the Company for various strategies and programs through convincing presentation and writing style. Handles questions well, and responds to information appropriately in a highly visible and sometime adversarial environment. Ability to present complex information in a format understandable to non-fleet related individuals in order to obtain their input on fleet program and strategy development, improvements, or trouble shooting.
- Excellent negotiation skills with vendors; ability to negotiate contracts and agreements that offer the Company the most services and benefits at the lowest cost; maintaining a strong Brand image.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to develop strong relationships with other Southwest Construction leadership, all other staff levels, and external partners to create viable solutions across fleet operations across functional lines, and across the fleet industry.
- Excellent problem solving skills, results driven orientation and the ability to coach/teach others how to determine root cause of problems. Must resolve operational problems affecting a large amount of Company costs. Able to demonstrate drive for achieving outlines results and ability to convey a sense of urgency when appropriate.
- Excellent multi-tasking and organization skills and ability to prioritize based on business need, implicit or otherwise.
- Excellent analytical and math skills. Must be able to review numerous reports and other sources of data in an effort to determine best course of action.
- Excellent project management skills. Must be able to implement strategies and systems, determine necessary resources, timeline and steps, and lead the project to a successful conclusion.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Strong knowledge and comfort level with diagnostic equipment for mechanical repairs